Tuesday 30 January 2007

70-431 or 70-291?

I've been doing a lot of XML lately. The more I get into SQL Server 2005, and dig into the depth of material required for the 70-431 exam, the more I realise that I really do need at least a whole year of experience working with SQL Server on some real projects. I also need to spend some time working on my skills, especially since a relatively good understanding of topics such as database design, XML and Transact-SQL are given prerequisites, only hinted at in the Official Exam Guide. I also feel that it helps to have time to 'revisit' some of the more subtle features and ideas a few times. My aim is still to be a system admin who can also do databases to reasonably high degree of competency.

To keep up the momentum on my MCSA goal, I've decided I need to take another exam sooner rather than later and, much as SQL Server is really cool, I think it is going to be more realistic to take the 70-291 next ('Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure', see: this link for the Official Exam Preparation Guide). I'm probably at least halfway there; for example I run my own DCHP server and have a basic understanding what DNS is about. So I've ordered the latest (2nd) edition of the Microsoft 70-291 Self-Paced Training Guide (ISBN 0735622884).

So ... I'll be posting more networking and server stuff in the near future, but I will be continuing with my database studies and will continuing posting SQL Server pieces. The good news is that I will probably post more frequently.